i got bit by the christine haynes lottie pattern bug earlier this summer. . . whipping up a blouse version in double gauze. it was such a comfortable fit that i decided to make a dress version for autumn winter, using nani iro’s fuwari fuwari print in brushed cotton (it’s like a flannel).
the lottie pattern is a simple design, very well suited for displaying asymmetrical, railroaded border prints like the one i chose. to best show off the print, the cutting layout should be adjusted. the best way to do so is to cut out the pattern pieces and lay them out (on the fabric itself if you have it) or just on the floor so you can measure how long of a piece you will need. i made the lottie dress in a size 6 and used 2 1/4 yards with this modified layout. not shown in the photos, but i made sure to align the bottom edge of each body piece to the bottom selvedge, so that the pattern would be somewhat aligned.
i also finished the neckline using liberty bias binding. brushed cotton is a bit thick and i found it much easier to use a lightweight lawn to finish off the neckline.